- Criminal Investigations
- E911 Center
- Road Patrol
Bad Check Policy
The following guidelines must be followed for a bad check to be processed by the Tioga County Sheriff’s Office:
- Provide the Original Check
- Provide “Letter of Protest” (from the bank the check was written from)
- Complete and sign the Bad Check Complaint Form
- Supply a copy of the letter (and any mail receipts) that was sent certified mail to the check issuer. The letter shall state that the check issuer is allowed 10 days from the date the receipt was signed to make a payment in full or if the payment is not made the information will be turned over to the Tioga County Sheriff’s Office for prosecution.
- Supply a detailed list of all charges and fees assessed. (service charges, bank charges, letter of protest fees)
Take Notice – A BAD CHECK WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY THE TIOGA COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS EXIST:
- If the check is two (2) year old or more.
- If the check was postdated.
- If there was an agreement to hold the check for any reason.
- If you received any payment(s) towards the Bad Check.
- If the check has been submitted to a collection agency.
If any of the above has occurred, please contact your local Town Justice for further pursuit of the check in Civil Court.